To enhance youth participation in the peace and security agenda on the continent, the AU Peace and Security Council (PSC) during its 807th meeting requested the AU Commission to appoint five regional African Youth Ambassadors for Peace (AYAP) to work with the AU Youth Envoy in championing the promotion of peace and security on the continent.
The AYAPs, working under the direct supervision of the leadership of the PAPS Department of the AUC, shall champion the promotion and advocacy of youth participation in peace and security issues at the regional level and across Africa. Specifically, the AYAPs will promote the actualization of the five priorities of the Continental Framework on Youth, Peace and Security (CFYPS), which are guided by Article 17 of the AU Youth Charter (2006) and the United Nations Security Council Resolutions (UNSCR) 2250 (2015), 2419 (2018) and 2535 (2020).
Criteria and Qualification
Application is open to all African Youth with demonstrated commitment and significant contribution to the promotion of sustainable peace and security on the continent. Applications from eligible youth, including young women, displaced persons and persons with disabilities who meet the following criteria are particularly encouraged:
- Be between the ages of 15 to 35 in tandem with the AU Youth age;
- Possess university degree in international relations, peace and conflict, political science, law and related areas; a master’s degree would be an added advantage; or, have at least 2 years’ experience in peace and security with demonstrated ability for advocacy on youth, peace and security issues as well as resource mobilization;
- Have experience in promoting and supporting peace processes, especially in initiating and facilitating multi-stakeholder dialogues and mediation efforts;
- Have a strong track record with the local community/area where he/she works;
- Possess strong communication and advocacy skills;
- English, French, Arabic, Portuguese, Swahili and Spanish are the working languages of the AU. Fluency in any AU working language is required; knowledge of another AU language would be an asset.
How to apply
Qualified candidates should submit their applications to the email address Youth4PeaceAfrica@africa-union.org on or before [31 October 2023].
The application should include the following:
- An updated CV/resume;
- A short essay (not more than 2 pages) detailing how the candidate is qualified to fill the candidacy as well as how to make impact on the peace and stability of the continent.
- Copies of educational and other training certificates